Menu

Refund Policy

This refund policy applies to the store.plumrocket.com website and all products and services offered by Plumrocket Inc (the "Consultant").

If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase of the Products or Services ("Software"), you can get your money back upon the terms set forth below. However, we believe that most refunds can be avoided if you get professional assistance from Consultant's support or another web-development company.

Refund Conditions

You can claim and receive a full refund for the Software within 60 days of purchase date.

Refund requests received: 

  • 30 days of purchase date - will be refunded to the original form of payment.
  • 31-60 days of purchase date - will be refunded in the form of reward points usable on future Plumrocket Store purchases.

No refunds will be available after the 60 days refund period is over. Restrictions may apply, see our Refund Policy Restrictions for more information. 

 

Refund Restrictions

Products or Services ("Software")

Refund Restrictions

Magento Extensions and Packages

The refund may apply only to the primary (first) license bought from Consultant, except the ones obtained illegally.

If you own more than one license, no refund will be available for additional licenses.

Your money may be refunded only once. If you buy another license at a later time, this will not be subject to a refund request.

Magento Extension Installation Service, Magento Speed Optimization Service, Magento 2 Upgrade & Migration Service

The cost of the service will be refunded in full as long as (a) the Consultant has not started the installation / optimization process before the claim is received, or (b) the client's server does not meet the system requirements and the installation / optimization cannot be performed.

Pay as You Go - Support Plan

The money may be refunded in full, less the cancellation fee. If you claim a refund at any time, the cancellation fee will be 20% of the remained support hours. The other 80% will be refunded in full.

Monthly Subscription - Support Plan

The money may be refunded in full, less the cancellation fee. If you claim a refund at any time, the cancellation fee will be 25% of the remained support hours. Additional $10 fee will be charged for each support hour used within first 3 month of subscribtion if Client requests cancellation within first three month from the date of purchase of Monthly Subscription - Support Plan.

Support & Updates Period

The fees paid to renew or extend "Support & Updates Period" are non-refundable. 

Custom Website Development, Design & Publishing, Search Engine Optimization Services

The money may be refunded in full, less the cancellation fee.

If you claim a refund at any time before Consultant has started to work on your project, the cancellation fee will be 20% of the full project cost. The other 80% will be refunded in full.

If you claim a refund at any time after Consultant has started to work on your project, the cancellation fee will be calculated by the Consultant according to the progress of the project.

 

Refund Procedure

All refund requests must be submitted via contact form on Consultants’ website. The decision about whether to grant a refund request is made within two business days. If the refund is granted, the Client must remove all Consultants’ Software or any of its derivatives and must not use the Software unless another license is purchased.

Please contact us if you have any questions about this Refund Policy.

This document was last updated on October 16, 2017